- Embracing family diversity,
- Avoiding gender stereotyping and affirming gender
- Ending bullying and name-calling.
Welcoming Schools is inclusive of the many types of diversity found in our communities including LGBT families and people.
To get started in your school, check out:
- Keys to Success to help you think about the first steps you need to take in your community.
Working with the adults in the elementary school community is a critical place to begin. Take a look at:
- Professional Development Resources
- Teachable Moments with materials like What Do You Say to “That’s So Gay”
- Planning community building events for parents and guardians in your school community.
- For a set of key materials from Welcoming Schools to help you get started, download the Welcoming Schools Starter Kit.
Initiated by a group of parents and educators to meet the needs of students whose family structures are not well represented or included in school environments, Welcoming Schools is also a response to educators who have asked for tools to address bias-based name-calling and bullying. Additionally, it offers a wide range of resources for school administrators and educators to support students who don’t conform to gender norms. For a look at the people engaged with developing welcoming and safe schools for all children, see: