In elementary school, educators set the tone for a caring and welcoming classroom.
- Make the most of Teachable Moments. Be prepared to respond to hurtful teasing and bullying.
- Check out the Welcoming Schools Lesson Plans on family diversity, gender and bullying that are aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
- Check out many simple steps that educators can take to develop a classroom and school that allows children to be who they are without the limitations of gender stereotyping.
- Engage students in discussions on family diversity, gender and bullying with books specifically chosen for elementary school students from our many bibliographies.
- Some of our booklists highlight all kinds of families,
- Others are inclusive of gay family members or characters.
- Some books have characters in expansive gender roles,
- Others look at bullying in school,
- Tambien hay libros en Español.
- Consider the questions raised in Developing a Welcoming Classroom.
- Encourage your administration to offer Professional Development for all staff in your school on interrupting hurtful teasing and creating a school where students and staff stand up for each other. Check out the Professional Development ideas from Welcoming Schools.
Need some help getting started: contact a Welcoming Schools regional consultant.
For a set of key materials from Welcoming Schools to help you get started, download the Welcoming Schools Starter Kit.