Below is a selection from the over twenty lesson plans included in the Welcoming Schools Guide. These lesson plans focus on embracing family diversity, avoiding gender stereotyping and ending bullying and name-calling. To see a complete list of the lesson plans available in the Guide, view the grids under "Aligning Lesson Plans to Grade Levels and Standards."
Aligning Lesson Plans to Grade Levels and Standards
- Guide to Lesson Plans by Suggested Grade Level [PDF]
- Curriculum Standards & Welcoming Schools Lesson Plans [PDF]
- Linking Welcoming Schools to Academic Standards [PDF]
Embracing Family Diversity
- Tree of Caring (K-3) [PDF]
Helping All Children Thrive with Gender Inclusive Classrooms
Developing Community and a Welcoming Classroom
- A Welcoming Classroom (K – 2) [PDF]
- Creating Community in Your Classroom Through Poetry: I Am Poems along with the Book Looking Like Me (2 – 5) [PDF]
- Learning About Each Other Through Poetry: BioPoems (3 – 6) [PDF]
Creating a Respectful School: Preventing Bias-Based Bullying & Name-Calling
- Words that Hurt, Words that Heal (K-3) [PDF] Featured in What Can We Do?
- Name-calling and Feeling Safe in School (K-5) Featured in What Can We Do?
- Making Decisions: Ally or Bystander (Grades 4-5) [PDF] Featured in What Can We Do?