Below is a selection from the over twenty lesson plans included in the Welcoming Schools Guide. These lesson plans focus on embracing family diversity, avoiding gender stereotyping and ending bullying and name-calling.
Aligning Lesson Plans to Grade Levels and Standards
- Curriculum Standards & Welcoming Schools Lesson Plans [PDF]
- Linking Welcoming Schools to Academic Standards [PDF]
Embracing Family Diversity
- The Great Big Book of Families (K – 2) [PDF]
- What is a Family? Using Children’s Books to Explore the Meaning of Family (K – 3) [PDF]
- Where I’m From Poetry Lesson (4 – 6) [PDF]
- Tree of Caring: Alternative Family Tree Activities (K – 3) [PDF]
Helping All Children Thrive with Gender Inclusive Classrooms
- I Am Me Poems Using Looking Like Me (1 – 5) [PDF]
- Using Children's Books to Look at Gender Stereotyping (1 – 3) [PDF]
- Media Sleuths: Examining Gender Roles in Advertising (4 – 5) [PDF]
- Biographies: Determined Girls, Successful Women — Boys and Men Determined to Live Their Dreams (1 – 5) [PDF]
Developing Community and a Welcoming Classroom
- A Welcoming Classroom (K – 2) [PDF]
- Creating Community in Your Classroom Through Poetry: I Am Poems along with the Book Looking Like Me (2 – 5) [PDF]
- Learning About Each Other Through Poetry: BioPoems (3 – 6) [PDF]
Creating a Respectful School: Preventing Bias-Based Bullying & Name-Calling
- Words that Hurt, Words that Heal (K – 3) [PDF] Featured in What Can We Do?
- Name-calling and Feeling Safe in School (K – 5) Featured in What Can We Do?
- Making Decisions: Ally or Bystander (4 – 5) [PDF] Featured in What Can We Do?
- Appreciating Differences and Acknowledging Stereotypes: “Hot Potatoes” and “Bad Apples” (Grades 4 and up or adults) [PDF]