Teachable moments are opportunities to move one step closer to creating welcoming schools for all children and families.
Imagine scenarios like these:
- A student walks by your classroom and says, “That’s so gay!” to her friends.
- Another says, "Aisha looks like a boy!" Be Prepared for Questions and Put-downs About Gender.
- Or, you overhear one student say to another, “How can he be your father? The color of his skin is so different than yours!” Check out Yes! They Are a Family.
- Your son asks you “What does gay mean?” while you sit down for dinner.
These topics may catch us by surprise because they are not often discussed.
- Practice responses to students’ questions with these Welcoming Schools resources.
- Understanding terminology and ways to talk with students helps all of us take advantage of these teachable moments.
- With preparation through professional development training, these moments can help us improve a school’s environment.
- Contact Welcoming Schools to plan a training for your school or district.
- See what students are looking for in Welcoming Schools award-winning film, What Do You Know? Hear direct from 6 to 12-year olds about LGBTQ topics.